Dear Diary Edition: Don't Call Me Vegan





What is with all of these titles? I mean, you have to place yourself in a category for everything and if you switch up even a little people are ready to point it out. When you label yourself people feel the need to judge and dissect you based upon the label you choose. Personally I am not up for the stipulations placed on words I choose to associate with myself, especially when they are not meant to define me but rather help relate to a part or parts of me.

I first applied a vegan diet in 2015; I had no idea there were so many categories that went into veganism (such as; dietary, ethical, raw, environmental) all I knew was that I was not interested in eating animal products whatsoever. After doing some research and also speaking to others who chose the vegan diet/lifestyle, I made my decision based off of the health benefits. There are many reasons to apply this diet from the genetic modification, to the hormone injections all the way down to the spiritual connection. The saying “you are what you eat” is absolutely accurate. Not only did I stop consuming animal products, I cut out soda and limited my juices. I did my best to incorporate as much raw foods as I could and fell back on fried foods. I lost over 30 pounds in two months. I always would have a pain in my stomach after eating beef which stopped. My headaches were less excruciating and my skin was clearer. I remember a few years earlier a friend telling me she was going vegan and I said “what!? I could never imagine not eating meat,” It is that kind of mentality that disconnects us from experiences that could not only be beneficial for us but broaden our insights.

People who eat animal products call me vegan; many vegans would say I am not vegan because I occasionally use honey. Now the definition says a person who does not eat meat, dairy or eggs and abstains from the use of animal products, however, isn't a Bee considered an insect? I'm just saying. Depending on what one truly sees as being vegan, using a bee to get honey is disrupting a living thing and therefore in their book as violating the vegan code. Most people that use the word vegan (based on my experience) were not even aware that the word was meant for those who do not consume any animal products. I was speaking with someone who decided to go vegan and described a “cheesy flatbread with veggies” they ate earlier that day. Now I was aware of what a vegan was by definition but they were under the assumption that it just meant no eating any living thing.

If I wake up tomorrow and I want some fish then that makes me a Pescatarian. If I wake up and decide I want some cheese on my potato that makes me a Vegetarian. All in all it is just confusing! At the end of the day I am doing what I feel is best for MY body. Don't call me a vegan or anything else just look at me as someone who is doing what is best for my health and sometimes indulges in things I want at that moment. I am also human and have moments that lack self-discipline, when you are used to the taste of something and you enjoy it then it can be more difficult for you to stay away from it. Old habits definitely die hard but I also understand in those moments of "weakness" where I go against better judgement that I am allowing myself to show lack of self-love. Some may not agree but I beg to differ, I believe what we put into our body is a form of self-love. If you know something is not good for you or may cause you to get sick but you continuously do it anyway, is that not an example of lack of self-love? You most likely would not agree for someone to do something unloving to you but when it comes to self we downplay or make excuses of why it is okay. I also believe self-love is doing what we want and satisfying ourselves, within reason. This is an everlasting journey, trust me. When I speak to someone in regards to eating and health it is not to have them do what I do it is simply to inform them of what they may not know. I have had many situations where someone is complaining about a health issue and by seeing what they consume I already see what the root of the issue could possibly be. I have experienced many things others are going through. Since I am not a doctor or have a million followers people do not always respond to what I am saying in a positive manner. In no way am I saying I am better or that I do things better because I don't - I just do what I do my way, for me.

One of the problems people have is that they rely on others to tell them what is right or wrong but who knows your body better than you? The way your decisions affect you have nothing to do with anyone else unless you allow them to do so. We all have access to so much valuable information yet we look at these celebrities and fitness figures for our answers. Do your own research, if someone tells you something do not take it and run, research what you were given and then apply where necessary. I know someone who does not eat or use animal products but smokes black and mild’s. I don’t say that to judge but to show that none of us are perfect and we want what we want when we want it and we are the ones that have to deal with the outcome of our decisions. Some things people do may look more appealing to us but is that really any of our business? Putting a label on yourself does not make you any better than anyone else. It feels good to just do what you want without ties to labels. Respect the wisdom you gain and accept that no matter what you do someone is going to speak negative of it but you my dear, control your own life!


Thanks for reading!
*kisses

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honor Yourself